Monday, 8 June 2020

Explaining Scheepjes Logo: #WasteWaterCreated


For those of you who are more eco-conscious minded, you may have already noticed that some of Scheepjes’ latest yarn releases carry this Recycled Water logo on their label. As one of the many sustainable initiatives they are incorporating into their business, I hope to help answer any questions you may have as to what this logo in particular means, and in doing so, shed some light on what ‘sustainable’ can mean and encompass for a brand such as Scheepjes

Hecht jij waarde aan een duurzame planeet en milieubewuste opties? Dan is het je misschien al opgevallen dat sommige Scheepjes garens dit Recycled Water logo op hun label dragen. En dit is slechts één van de vele duurzame initiatieven die Scheepjes neemt. Ik zou graag wat vragen willen beantwoorden over wat dit logo precies betekent en hoop daarmee te kunnen laten zien wat duurzaamheid kan betekenen voor een merk als Scheepjes.



Recycled Water logo = #WasteWaterCreated 
When you pick up a ball of Scheepjes yarn and you notice the Recycled Water logo on the label, this means that this yarn has been produced using waste water generated throughout its production.  
Did you know that traditional cotton production uses on average 10,000 litres of water per kilogram of yarn produced? - see BetterCotton.org  
Currently, 95% of all waste water generated in the production of Scheepjes yarns carrying this logo is reused, with the remaining 5% classed as completely biodegradable and thus safe to return into local waterways.

Recycled Water logo = #WasteWaterCreated 
Heb je een bolletje Scheepjes garen vast en zie je het Recycled Water logo? Dat is dat garen geproduceerd met het afvalwater dat tijdens de productie is gegenereerd.  
Wist je trouwens dat in de traditionele kantoenproductie gemiddeld 10.000 liter water wordt verbruikt per kilo garen? - Zie BetterCotton.org  
Momenteel wordt 95% van het afvalwater dat vrij komt bij de productie van Scheepjes garens met het Recycled Water logo hergebruikt. De resterende 5% van het afvalwater is volledig biologisch afbreekbaar is en kan dus veiliworden afgevoerd naar lokale waterwegen. 


Which yarns should I look out for? 
At this stage, any new release of Scheepjes yarn which has been produced under these conditions will carry the Recycled Water logo, these include: 
  • Bamboo Soft 
  • Organicon 
  • SKIES Heavy & Light 
However, there are many other Scheepjes yarns which are made under the exact same conditions but were manufactured before we as a company chose to develop a logo and actively make consumers aware of this. These yarns include ALL 100% cotton yarns and some cotton blends: 
  • MIGHTY 
  • Catona 
  • Cahlista 
  • Maxi Sweet Treat 
  • Maxi Sugar Rush 
  • Sunkissed 
  • Cotton 8 

Om welke garens gaat het dan? 
Vanaf nu zal elke nieuw Scheepjes garen onder deze omstandigheden geproduceerd worden en dus het Recycled Water logo dragen, waaronder: 
  • Bamboo Soft 
  • Organicon
  • SKIES Heavy & Light
Er zijn nog vele andere Scheepjes garens die onder exact dezelfde omstandigheden worden gemaakt, maar zijn geproduceerd voordat Scheepjes ervoor heeft gekozen om hier een logo voor te laten ontwikkelen om de consument er bewust van te maken. Dat zijn de volgende 100% katoenen garens en enkele katoenmix garens: 
  • MIGHTY
  • Catona
  • Cahlista
  • Maxi Sweet Treat
  • Maxi Sugar Rush
  • Sunkissed
  • Cotton 8


Can I learn more about what Scheepjes is doing to be sustainable? 
Following on from the release of YARN Bookazine 9 NOW Age, I wrote a blogpost that expanded on an article called Thinking Sustainably which was featured in that issue. In this blogpost I elaborate on every detail from local initiatives to off-site initiatives, agreements in place and future goals concerning sustainability at Scheepjes. Click here to read it.

Wat voor duurzaams doet Scheepjes nog meer? 
Na de release van YARN Bookazine 9 NOW Age heb ik als opvolging op het daarin gepubliceerde artikel Duurzaam Denken een blogpost over duurzaamheid geschreven. In deze blogpost ga ik in op elk detail van lokale initiatieven tot off-site initiatieven, gemaakte afspraken en toekomstige doelen op het gebied van duurzaamheid bij Scheepjes. Klik hier om dit artikel te lezen. 

Feel free to comment below if you have any questions!  
Heb je nog vragen? Stel ze in de reacties hieronder!



1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete